Sunday, September 07, 2008

C & E Feast On Chicago #1

As a youth in Saskatchewan, my father was able to listen to Cubs game on the radio from distant Chicago. He remained a Cubs fan until moving to Los Angeles, along with the Dodgers, but always retained a fondness for the Cubs, which I inherited. I was particularly fond of the great Cubs team with Ernie Banks, Ron Santo and Billy Wiliams and the great Canadian all-star pitcher Ferguson Jenkins. My cousin was able to get Cubs tickets for our visit to Chicago. Seeing this statue of Cubs radio all-star Harry Carey in front of The Friendly Confines reminded me of the connection between baseball and radio in my life and many others. I hear that Vin Scully is still calling Dodger games and he couldn't be much younger than my father.
Just being in Wrigley Field was thrilling enough, although not as time-travelly as I expected. The stadium is in great shape for its great age. The stadium was full of Cubs fans but there were a lot of Phillies fans there as well, and Philly lead for most of the game, to their delight.

The Cubs came back to win it with a grand slam. Baseball metaphors filled our vocabularies as we ventured off into serious foodie territory over the next few days. We had planned to have something to eat near Wrigley but I had a terrible headache, perhaps from the stadium's beer, so we just went back hotel for some snacks at its bar.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home