Monday, February 27, 2006

Home and Garden Show




One thing I've wanted to do as long as I've wanted to do anything yet undone is to design my own house. OK, with the price of real estate in North Vancouver, that is highly unlikely, but it's a nice fantasy. Alot of people must share the fantasy of, if not a completely new house, at least some renovation on their old one. Fumiyo wants to redo our kitchen, for example. Our last house, although my father and I changed the cabinets and a friend put in new lino, the kitchen wasn't completely remodeled until we were putting the house up for sale. Only the new owners got to benefit from it. Hopefully that won't be the case here. I joined the crowds paying $12.50 to pour into BC Place Stadium to see the latest possibiltiies. As I was walking in, amidst the crowds, I kept thinking of the Dylan song "Went to see the gypsy." Reading his Chronicles recently, I discovered that the song, and most of the others on New Morning were written for a play, but never used. Imagine commissioning Dylan to write songs for your play and then not using them? Possibly stranger things have happened, but I can't think of any offhand.
Yes, if I were as rich as Dylan (who spends some time in the book lamenting the loss of his huge yacht) I could afford some of this stuff. Great panelling. I like the idea of see-through kitchen cabinets but a see-through fridge? Hmmm. Yes it would save having to open the door to find out what you have in the fridge, but maybe you'd rather not know. The kitchen cabinets on the right look great but it's only faux see through. One alarming feature of the show was the vast number of cleaning products for sale. Are our homes really that dirty? Perhaps Pig Pen would need all these cleaning products. It would take a genius of the level of Leonardo Da Vinci and Bob Dylan to clean up my parents' house. I think some termites would still do a better job.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always a joy to read your blog my friend and a novel way to share your thoughts with the world at large.

Following our brief discussion last night, I had to come back and see what was up with you.

Love the home show train of thought.

I understand the very foodie Idea that you have of a modern functional kitchen that you can both enjoy.

I don't recall if you have ever been to Montréal, but we have a very funny thing happen when any group of friends get together for a party of any type, the majority of the time is spend in the kitchen! everybody.

I would welcome the opportunity to share recipes and foodie thoughts.


Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home